The Photo Beat - Photography Discussion and Critique Forum Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Off ThePhotoBeaten Path > The Other Side of the Lens

The Other Side of the Lens This is the forum to showcase your non-photography creative side! Let us hear your music, see your drawings or paintings, read your poetry....you get the idea. Show us what you do when you set the camera down and live life on the other side of the lens!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Walter
Lives for the Beat

Mary Austin Book

The Land of Little Rain book is coming out early next month. I've been invited to San Francisco to do a promotional video interview with W.R. Hearst III. In the October issue of National Parks Magazine there will be an interview I did with one of their writers about the book too. I've been having the time of my life with this stuff. This is a lifetime opportunity for me. I swear this is like a cool dream or awesome hallucination or something.

I'm thinking instead of flying up and back, maybe renting a car and coming back through Yosemite and south along the eastern Sierra Nevada.

My solo exhibition in the city of Fontana, CA. gallery hasn't been looking too good, but I had a good time at an informal reception last Saturday with some family that has never seen my work except for Facebook.

I'm afraid this may be it as far as heavily photo illustrated books for me though. Apparently about $25 per book is the cost overrun, so it is losing money. Going to have some fun anyhow.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1619023482/..._A8Zutb1DR8XQA

If you lose your goat, walk uphill. That's where lost goats go.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
tirediron
Lives for the Beat

Very cool! Sorry to hear that's losing money though.
tirediron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Terri
Administrator

Don't sweat it - books in general have competition from Kindle and like devices (which I do not care for, personally), so it's a hard sell. It could be that the upcoming interview/publicity will give it enough of a nudge to break even. That's not on your back, you are the photographer and it's someone else's problem to figure out how to make money off it!

The rest of it just sounds like wonderful fun! I think it would be more fun to make the drive, too, so you have more photo ops along the way - just another bonus.

I'm sure your family has a much better appreciation of your work, now that they've seen it as it's meant to be shown. Nothing can beat an actual print!

Keep enjoying, ride this wave! You've worked hard for many years and deserve the recognition.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Walter
Lives for the Beat

Terri,

Thinking about it, I do not believe it was meant to make money. With the cost of printing the book I doubt that anyone will ever publish an edition of Land of Little Rain with as many high quality photos (101). Even the edition Ansel Adams did, did not have that many images. These guys know what they are doing. I've seen in a video interview that Hearst isn't concerned with making money, but keeping the family fortune carrying on to continue to help writers and artists make their way.

I will pitch another book we discussed last year if the opportunity arises. I sent a proposal last Feb. but did not hear back. Not effective timing. There is some interest from a couple other small publishers, so I think one way or another at least an edition with less photos will happen.

Throughout my life I've had so many opportunities and so many that I've blown off. I won't let that happen again. This has all been going on since my Father passed away. My wife and I like to think my Dad (who was a big fan) is up there doing some business management. :-D

Last edited by Walter; 09-19-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Terri
Administrator

Quote:
This has all been going on since my Father passed away. My wife and I like to think my Dad (who was a big fan) is up there doing some business management. :-D
aww...and a very sweet thought that is.

Definitely keep us posted! We all appreciate that good timing is half the battle!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Fox Paw
Lives for the Beat

That's very cool, Walter, and well deserved.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Walter
Lives for the Beat

Thanks again Terri. Thank you F.P.

The book I pre-ordered for my cousin came today. Wow. Looks like some other Walter Feller did it. Very nice.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Antarctican
Living la vita "loco"

Send a message via Yahoo to Antarctican Send a message via Skype™ to Antarctican
These opportunities are so well deserved, and it warms the cockles of my heart to read how much fun you're having with it!
Antarctican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:52 AM   #9
Walter
Lives for the Beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctican View Post
These opportunities are so well deserved, and it warms the cockles of my heart to read how much fun you're having with it!
& Here's to your heart and especially your cockles

I'll have to look up cockles some day.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Terri
Administrator

Quote:
I'll have to look up cockles some day.
Don't do it. You might become frightened.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Antarctican
Living la vita "loco"

Send a message via Yahoo to Antarctican Send a message via Skype™ to Antarctican
Info here on warm cockles

Apparently much preferred to cold cockles. I'm just sayin'. ............................................ /hijack
Antarctican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Walter
Lives for the Beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Don't do it. You might become frightened.
Too late. I can't unlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctican View Post
Info here on warm cockles

Apparently much preferred to cold cockles. I'm just sayin'. ............................................ /hijack
Ew.

Much wetter than I imagined.

Doctor delayed cataract surgery for at least another month. Wants to do some tests on my heart.

Leaving for SF tomorrow. Driving in the day time only. Staying in a 'dump' (El Capitan Hotel) Thursday night. Cheap motel tomorrow night or car camping. It will give me character I suppose. Not like it's something I'm not used to. WTH. I want to see if I can get a shot of Mr. Hearst presenting me with one of those giant cardboard checks . I want to reshoot the Tehachapi loop on my way there or home. I do not let myself get bored.

http://digital-desert.com/tehachapi-loop/

I'll make the most of it.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Terri
Administrator

Ah, so there will be another series on a semi-local famous train! From your link, this section was apparently quite the technological feat back in the day. Sounds like it's fun location for a shoot.

Enjoy the road trip - I do not doubt that you'll make the most of it!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #14
Walter
Lives for the Beat

Mr. Hearst is a super-nice guy. We talked for about 3 hours all told.

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Off ThePhotoBeaten Path > The Other Side of the Lens