The Photo Beat - Photography Discussion and Critique Forum Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Off ThePhotoBeaten Path > Off Topic Hangout & Community Gossip

Off Topic Hangout & Community Gossip For fun and casual chat. Play nice.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
icassell
Lives for the Beat

Closure

I, for one, will be sad to see The Beat go. It's been a lot of fun and I've made some good friends here. On the other hand, it has not been very busy and, I imagine, is more work than there is return. Perhaps we can all find a place to migrate to?
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Terri
Administrator

Thank you, Ian. Yes, it's unfortunate, but the time has arrived after our long run.

I am still an Admin over at TPF, under the new ownership since Chase sold the place back in 2009. I know everyone here had their own reasons for migrating away from there, but it's still a good photo site and very active. It wouldn't be a bad place (in fact I think Fenman still posts there on occasion, and some of our other members as well) to pick up again. Frankly, I wouldn't promote it if I thought there'd be any issues for anyone there.

I haven't had time to check out any other sites. I don't do much social media so places like FB have little interest to me. Any other ideas?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
icassell
Lives for the Beat

Maybe I'll wander back to TPF. I stopped going there when I started here -- just didn't want to spread myself thin. How a about a Beat forum on TPF?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Terri
Administrator

Quote:
How a about a Beat forum on TPF?

There you go!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Antarctican
Living la vita "loco"

Send a message via Yahoo to Antarctican Send a message via Skype™ to Antarctican
I too will be very sad to see the end of the Beat. I have made good friends here (and now that I am finally on Facebook, see some of them there as well). I will probably wander back to TPF, but will probably be overwhelmed by the number of posts etc over there.

Terri, thank you so much for starting up the Beat and keeping it going for as long as you have. It has been very much appreciated. The times they are a changing, and one can't argue that, with the number of contributors dwindling, 'it's time'.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Terri
Administrator

Thanks, Anty. It's time, I agree, though still not particularly an easy decision!

TPF is little changed, really. The moderator team is a good one, and there are still the usual gaming threads (including our fave!) and genial off-topic threads. Tons of images posted. There are still a number of people hanging around from the old Chase-owned days; you might be pleasantly surprised by how many people you know.

It's not small and intimate like the Beat, of course.

If anyone wanders over there and has any trouble with old log-ins or user names, let me know. The site has gone through a couple of big upgrades and isn't even running on v Bulletin anymore - but you and Ian are already members so you shouldn't have any issues. The current software mirrors v Bulletin and is easy to navigate.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
astrostu
Lives for the Beat

Sorry to see it go. Despite being very, very quiet on here for the last few years due to work obligations (a spacecraft flying by Pluto 'n' all ...), I still read and looked at every new thread thanks to the RSS feed.
Lenses: Canon 14mm f/2.8L, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon 2x Extender II, Lunt 60mm H-α Solar Telescope
Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
Mounting: DJI Phantom Quadcopter v1.1.1, Gitzo 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod, AstroTrac, various heads
astrostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
icassell
Lives for the Beat

[QUOTE=astrostu;94314] (a spacecraft flying by Pluto 'n' all ...)

That has got to be one of the best excuses I've ever seen! Better even than "a dog ate my homework"

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Fox Paw
Lives for the Beat

I'm sorry to see this day come but I understand. I do hope to find another spot in cyberspace where we can see each other. Terri, Jeanne, thanks to both of you for all the work.

Last edited by Fox Paw; 07-29-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Fox Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #10
Antarctican
Living la vita "loco"

Send a message via Yahoo to Antarctican Send a message via Skype™ to Antarctican
"It's a small world after all"... I think back to 2006 when I first ran into Chiller at the Toronto Zoo and he told me about photography forums (and TPF). I have had a blast on the forums since then, and have enjoyed meeting many members in person at various meetups (London, Washington DC, Germany, Arizona, Newfoundland, Rutland...I hope I haven't left any out). I've had the great pleasure of meeting FoxPaw, icassell, Fenman, JeffJarboe, Hertz van Rental, JustCorinna and many more. [Never got to meet Terri in person though.] I will definitely keep in touch with you all, via Facebook or TPF. I respect and admire you all too much to let the connection just fade away.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
Terri
Administrator

Well, however big and distasteful TPF might seem, I do hope to see you all swinging through. That's an easy one - I don't personally do much on FB, I just haven't gotten bitten by the bug. You can always shoot me a PM to let me know if you've swung by the old neighborhood (it's called a "conversation" with their new software, but it's the same thing).

I met lots of people through TPF, the most on the D.C. trip. In addition to several regulars at the time who have since moved on, I met Chase, Jeff Jarboe, and Corinna - we were hoping Hertz could make it but he couldn't on that trip.

Lots of fun times there, even now! Pretty sure Fenman and Carol still show up there, too.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
Terri
Administrator

Just a note - the Beat will remain open the full month of August and at least half of September. I'll be out of town for part of August, and I'm not rushing to close it, so there's plenty of time to post as we wish.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
icassell
Lives for the Beat

I don't find TPF distasteful ... I just preferred our cozy atmosphere here at The Beat. I understand completely, however, why you need to close it down and I will keep an eye out for you all back on TPF.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #14
Dagwood56
Lives for the Beat

Thought I'd sign in and say Hi and goodbye to everyone. I didn't expect to find that the site was going to close when I popped in just now. It was a very nice forum and I enjoyed posting photos here and enjoyed the people here. A few months ago I left here and TPF, the reason I drifted away here was sadly the lack of activity. But at the same time I was disgusted with TPF and I deleted my account at photo bucket which I used to post photos from and I signed out of both forums leaving just my user name and decided to concentrate on Facebook, my artist page there, and the many photo groups available there.

I apologize for my feelings about TPF, there are a few members there I still respect and keep in touch with on facebook, but on the whole....I will never return to TPF and the too often used intimidation tactics by those there. The innocent questions from people just starting out that are answered with snide remarks and then turned into senseless bacon jokes, those who feel they are superior because they have several thousand dollars in equipment and egos so big that ....well you get the idea. My work was never well received there I had been a member for 10 years - it was time to go - permanently.

So sorry to see the beat go Terri, I enjoyed the time that I did spend here, people were thoughtful and nice here and the body of work produced by everyone was stupendous.
Take care everyone!
Carol

Last edited by Dagwood56; 08-01-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Dagwood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
Terri
Administrator

Eww, Carol, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience over there. That's one of the worst things about large forums with lots of active members, frankly - the size of the membership can have a direct correlation to how certain people feel free to pop off.

I wish you'd have shot me a PM about it. Some louder voices have left or been banned, and we've doubled down on expected behavior over the last few months - to me it seems much better lately.

But yes, that's definitely why smaller forums are better - especially when doing different kinds of work, like you do. (I love my alt processes, so I certainly get it!) Take care! I really appreciated your support here.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #16
icassell
Lives for the Beat

Wow, I never experienced any of that on TPF -- perhaps I was on different forums or at different times. I just stopped going there when I started coming here as I didn't want to be all over the map.

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Off ThePhotoBeaten Path > Off Topic Hangout & Community Gossip