The Photo Beat - Photography Discussion and Critique Forum Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Film Photography > The Darkroom

The Darkroom Discussion and Q&A on darkroom printing and related equipment

Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 AM   #1
JamesD
Enjoying the Beat

Post Projects

While I was down in Colorado earlier this year, I grabbed up some stuff that I left there waaaay back in 2007, when I got out of the Army and moved back to Alaska.

One of the things I picked up while I was there is the Kodak 100mm Anastar f/4.5 mounted in an Epsilon shutter that I picked up back in the day from Ebay, shipped all the way from the UK. I had some plan for it originally, but I have no idea what it was; however, it got me to thinking.

One of the reasons I haven't been here, or anywhere photography-related in several years (egad, almost ten, now...) is that I sold all my darkroom gear when I got out of the Army. I have been reluctant to buy back into 135-format darkroom equipment, because I have a 4x5 monorail camera that I'm afraid I'll never use if I don't equip with a 4x5 enlarger--and those are both ridiculously expensive to buy and incredibly expensive to ship to Alaska.

I still haven't bought one, but when I held that shutter/lens in my hand, it got me to thinking... I have had all these cameras sitting idle for nigh-unto ten years now, literally gathering dust on their cases. I've also acquired a fair amount of fairly nice woodworking equipment that I have yet to actually use. And then there's this lens, sitting here on the coffee table beside me, just now....

I've got nothing to lose! So, I've started, as of several days ago, drawing up some concept plans for a 4x5 enlarger to build... sure, it's not pro-grade or anything, but those who know me (Hi, Terri!) know that I do strange things like pinhole photos and paper negatives, so not having the best of the best isn't really too much of a issue in my particular case. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like--er, wait. Ahem. That is to say, I'm an electronics technician and a geek of electrical and programming pursuits, with a natural tendency toward mechanical and optical systems, also.

So, given the long, dark, cold winters up here, I figure I'll give it a go. Little by little, probably, I'm still working out the details anyway. But, by spring, I may have a working darkroom again, suitable unto its purpose and my peculiar interests in the photography realm. And then, perhaps, I'll really find some time for getting back into this hobby that has left me longing for more and more since I was but a small child.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
Fox Paw
Lives for the Beat

I'm glad that you decided to give it a go. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Terri
Administrator

I've known you for many moons, James - and all I can say is, If anybody can do this, you can!

I'd agree that 35mm would hardly be worth getting back into film for. But MF or LF is a completely different animal, with its own set of challenges. And the results can be delicious!

So...good luck up there, in the dark of your winters. Keep us posted on your progress - could be really cool!
Old 12-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Antarctican
Living la vita "loco"

Send a message via Yahoo to Antarctican Send a message via Skype™ to Antarctican
I look forward to hearing how it's going!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
JamesD
Enjoying the Beat

Thanks, guys. Soooon!
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Film Photography > The Darkroom