The Photo Beat - Photography Discussion and Critique Forum Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > The Business Community > General Presentation & Marketing

General Presentation & Marketing If you're in business for yourself or looking to start, this is the forum for discussion and Q&A.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
Dagwood56
Lives for the Beat

Question about presentation

Over this past year I've had to change direction a bit and shelve my idea of participating in juried art shows and selling printed and framed large work because of budget. So I recently opened an account with a Print on demand art site, but I wanted a way to stay in brick and mortar also.

Over the 4th of July weekend I stumbled upon an idea I frankly had given little thought to; selling matted and bagged 4x6 prints in local gift shops. I never really thought there could be a market for a 4x6 print, but after seeing some at a local farmers market and then googling about it, I discovered people do sell and buy this size. I costed everything out and my husband said it would be affordable to try.

So, my questions are this :

1] I realize the shop owner would make the final decision on how many prints they wanted at a time, but would it be reasonable to say 25 per store?

2] Prints will be in a 5x7 white mat and inside a sealed plastic bag with my business card. Would you put the card in front of the mat or behind it? The card will be loose.

3] Would a basket or a small decorative shoe style box be best to hold the prints? Or would that be up to the shop owner?

4] Should I provide a card with my artist statement to be displayed with the display of images, or is that not necessary in this case?

5] What do you think overall of the idea? Have I forgotten anything important?

It won't be a big money maker I realize that, but as I've explained to my husband and much to his dismay, this venture for me really isn't about making a lot of money, its about getting my work out in the public eye as much as I can.
Dagwood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
icassell
Lives for the Beat

Carol, I haven't a clue how to do the marketing thing as I've never tried my hand at it, but wish you the best success in your venture!
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Dagwood56
Lives for the Beat

Thanks Ian.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
MikeBel
New to the Beat

Good Luck with your venture! My thoughts below:

1] I realize the shop owner would make the final decision on how many prints they wanted at a time, but would it be reasonable to say 25 per store?

See #3; depends how many fit

2] Prints will be in a 5x7 white mat and inside a sealed plastic bag with my business card. Would you put the card in front of the mat or behind it? The card will be loose.

No business card. I would try a stamp on the back of the mat with your name, website, phone. That way your info is always with your image. Most people who buy a photo would probably lose your business card pretty quickly.

3] Would a basket or a small decorative shoe style box be best to hold the prints? Or would that be up to the shop owner?

I'd try the box idea. Have a sample with photos in it when you go to the stores to pitch your idea. Make it easy for a shop owner to say yes to you. No sense giving them extra work to do to show your photos, plus they may just throw them on a counter; bad presentation potential.

4] Should I provide a card with my artist statement to be displayed with the display of images, or is that not necessary in this case?

Yes. When I see these types of local displays I like seeing the back-story of the local artist. It also shows the store owner didn't just buy a bunch of stock photos to sell. But keep it short and sweet; no one wants to read a book.

5] What do you think overall of the idea? Have I forgotten anything important?

Pricing. Store will take, what, 30%? Make sure you're making something to pay for all expenses and some profit. I understand money isn't your #1 motivator but doing a lot of work for no profit gets old quick. You need to stay in the game for awhile to get your name recognized.
MikeBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Dagwood56
Lives for the Beat

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I did take the store owners commission into consideration when I did the numbers and I will still make a small profit after deducting costs to produce.

I do have a short artist statement that I've used in the past, but I will tweak it a bit more for store use. I did think that people would probably want to know about the artist, but wasn't sure. Like you said it is nice to know some back-story.

I see your point about the business card, but I can't possibly afford to have a stamp made. My photos are all signed, I was simply going to include the card as a way to promote my website, and POD site. I also have my email listed on my card. I don't use a phone number, there is no reason people need to call me for anything, its not like I do individual shoots, I photograph flowers.

Thanks again you've helped a lot.

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > The Business Community > General Presentation & Marketing