The Photo Beat - Photography Discussion and Critique Forum Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Digital Photography > Discussion & Digital Q&A

Discussion & Digital Q&A For all discussion and questions related to digital photography.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Terri
Administrator

Some opinions needed!

I'm kicking around some ideas, and I'd like some input.

Background: The only digital camera I own is a low-end P&S. I don't think I'd like any P&S, but I particularly don't care for this camera.

I'd like to post more work online, but when my old PC crashed 2 summers ago, it took down my Epson scanner, and even with some online hunting at the Epson site, that driver was no longer available (old PC and an old scanner - yep, I don't upgrade often). Shortly after that, we knew we were moving out of state, and it wasn't the time to buy new equipment.

I'm now thinking whether or not I should bother with a scanner, if I can get another setup to work. I have a very nice copy stand that I've used to take shots of my oversized prints that don't fit a standard scanner (they generally stop at 8x10) with no problem. I'm wondering if I should purchase a DSLR with a standard 50mm lens for use with the copystand, since that would get me the digital image needed for post processing in PS.

I'm not certain if it is a good idea, but I think it would work. Generally I've used low speed tungsten slide films, and scanned the slide later into PS. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a DSLR. (A P&S camera will not do for copystand work!) Any thoughts on this?

One plus for sticking with a scanner would be for scanning negatives/transparencies, which the hubby likes to do. I generally do manipulations of prints, though - so a flatbed of some sort suits me.

Trying not to do both...

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this process?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
KMann
Lives for the Beat

In my experience, the image the scanner will produce is better and more evenly lit than a shot you could take with a copy stand because of the problem you have with lighting. Mind you, the DSLR with a 50mm is a handy and wonderful thing ...
KMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Fox Paw
Lives for the Beat

Terri, my reaction is the same as KMann's.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Jeff Jarboe
Lives for the Beat

This is one of those forbidden APUG questions Have you looked at any scanner yet? Any fit your needs? There does seem to be fewer brands of flatbed scanners on the market today.

With your old scanner how much editing or tweaking the adjustments did you do so that the digital version would match the analog print?

Also these is VueScan their software works with scanner those drivers are no longer available http://www.hamrick.com/

The DSLR would let enter the brave new know as digital. And could be used for snapshot and video.

I think a scanner would be the easier work flow. Seem to me you would need to do the same tweaking with either ways. At scanning or in an editor after shooting with the camera. Plus with the camera there would be the setup of the copystand

PS: I Want To Go To Iceland & Greenland, It's Not Going To Be This Year, But Hopefully It Will Be In The Next Few Years
Jeff Jarboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Terri
Administrator

Thanks, all! Sounds like the idea of the scanner still seems to be the preferred method.

Jeff, we had an old Epson 1280 (I think that was the model#) and it came with pretty good editing. I never got really good with it, but it did a good enough job that fine-tuning could be accomplished in PS. It also came with various negative holders which was a plus. I was sorry to lose it.

My main issue is just print size - I've yet to see a flatbed handle much past 8x10, and I like making larger prints. Just can't get them online without cutting off the edges (which is sometimes not too bad, depending on the image). With the copystand idea, I was trying to avoid an extra step in the workflow by using a digital camera as opposed to having to scan a slide image of a print.

I've been reading that good quality consumer grade DSLR's are really dropping in price, as more and more people are turning to their smart phones for snaps. Film works for me and my alt processes (would rather have a film negative than a digital one). With that, though, I have more challenges getting my stuff onto my website as well as just for casual showing here.

I've not done an art festival in a few years now, but I imagine by now they are more accepting of jpegs than they used to be (they were firm about wanting slides of your work for many years), so although that's not a top reason for me to figure this out, it is another consideration.

hmm...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Jeff Jarboe
Lives for the Beat

BH seems to have three prices ranges for scanners $50-200, $500-1000 and then over $2000 few in this range are 12x17. I did not look to see if any of them had negative holders. Look like the copy stand is likely the cheaper option if you want to copy large artwork

You should be able to get a good mid-range DSLR body only for $500-700, Canonís 50mm primes are $110, $400 and $1600.(assume Nikon would be a little more). In my opinion, the entry-level model DSLRs are not as user friendly for making manual adjustment. Maybe they have gotten better.

PS: I Want To Go To Iceland & Greenland, It's Not Going To Be This Year, But Hopefully It Will Be In The Next Few Years
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Jeff Jarboe
Lives for the Beat

As for art show requiring slide I'm sure that day is long gone, it's not feasible or reasonable anymore

Old 11-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Terri
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarboe View Post
As for art show requiring slide I'm sure that day is long gone, it's not feasible or reasonable anymore
Yes, the last one I did was the fall of 2009 and they still wanted slides...it probably changed very soon after that.

I have a nice array of Pentax lenses for my 35mm...wonder if a Pentax digital camera would take that 50mm?

Wow, I didn't even know there was a scanner with that large of a bed...but that price point is out of sight!

Go Back   ThePhotoBeat > Digital Photography > Discussion & Digital Q&A